Since time immemorial researchers have been doing their best to know the various causes of diseases and conditions. Now-a-days with the coming up of new gadgets and gizmos, lifestyle diseases have increased, due to this the fear of lifestyle diseases like diabetes, cancer and heart diseases have also increased. Recently researchers from Australia and Kansas State University revealed that people who spend more time sitting at one place for long hours usually develop the above mentioned conditions. The study which has been published in the International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity aimed to focus that in order to escape from chronic disease people should spend their time moving outside, rather than sitting at one place. Reichard Rosenkranz, assistant professor of human nutrition at Kansa State University said that we all know that physically active people do better as compared to people who are less active. Richard further added that professionals in offices spend more time indoors in their offices for the sake of their job. Due to the less physical activity such people are prone to various diseases.
The study further exposed that men who sat for four hours or less daily at one place can encounter chronic conditions of high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. If the sitting time at one place increases so are the chances of developing various conditions and diseases.
How to become physically active?
We have heard on a number of occasions that physical activity which we perform almost daily helps in improving our health and well being. This way we can escape from very serious condition. In short, physical activity of any type helps in the following ways:
- It curtails the risk of dying prematurely and getting any heart disease.
- It helps people from developing diabetes and reduces high blood pressure in people having high blood pressure.
- Moreover, with physical activity the risk of developing colon cancer decreases.
- Through rigorous physical activities we can escape from depression and anxiety too.
- It builds bones, muscles and joints.
- It helps senior citizens to be able to move without falling.
- Thus it can be said that physical activity helps in combating various problems which can result from sedentary lifestyle like obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
Did you know that according to an estimate of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) around 64% of US adults in the age group 20 years and older are classified as overweight or obese?
It has been a universal fact that overweight or obese adults have been at the risk of developing physical ailments like high blood pressure (dyslipidemia), Type 2 diabetes, Osteoarthritis Asthma Obstructive Sleep-apnea and other respiratory problems.