Indigestion or dyspepsia could be touted as a body symptom and is not a disease in itself. Everyone in their life has to undergo this type of condition of indigestion, if they encounter sumptuous food before them. Diet has a crucial role to play during the course of indigestion. The food you eat can make or mar your body. Most often we have heard during our school days and from our peers that spicy foods and food containing artificial flavors or citric acids is injurious to health and the number one enemy of your stomach. Caffeine also helps in forming more acids in the stomach. If you are prone to indigestion problem avoid food containing caffeine in your diet. Indigestion or dyspepsia could be described as heartburn, gassy discomfort, feeling of fullness or bloating. Sometime indigestion could also take the turn of Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which is a disorder of the lower end of the esophagus, which occur due to stomach acid flowing backward into the esophagus and aggravate the tissues.
Causes of Indigestion
- There are several reasons through which you can encounter indigestion. Here is a quick checklist which can help you to know the reason for indigestion:
- Relying too much on fried food items including sweets, meat, fatty food and overeating.
- Eating in hurry and eating while viewing television can also cause indigestion.
- Sometime eating at odd times contributes indigestion.
- At times emotional disturbances like anxiety, grief and stress are responsible for indigestion.
- When you take antibiotics, steroids and painkillers, it can cause indigestion.
- At times due to milk, milk products, indigestion or dyspepsia could occur
Symptoms of indigestion
Feeling of uneasiness and heaviness coupled with stomach ache, vomiting, gassy discomfort, Diarrhea, nausea, constipation, acidity, laziness, weakness, headache, wind etc are foremost causes of indigestion.
How to quickly control indigestion?
- One of the best home remedies for indigestion is to take one teaspoon on ginger juice along with hot water and drinking it slowly. Ginger is known to have a curative value and helps in controlling indigestion.
- To control indigestion take buttermilk after meals. Add some salt and cumin seeds into it.
- Chew up a small piece of fresh ginger along with salt at least 5 to 10 minutes before the meals is recommended to control indigestion.
- If you take lemon juice thrice in a day in warm water it will help in controlling indigestion.
- During the course of indigestion if you take half a teaspoon of baking soda along with a few drops of lemon juice in a half cup of warm water it will help. But if you are vomiting don’t include the lemon part.
- You can also take the assistance of garlic as garlic helps in controlling digestion.
- Avoid eating while traveling in car or watching television.
- Lastly drinking a soda can also help you in controlling indigestion
Role of Alternative Medicine
There are a few Chinese traditional herbal medicine available like paeonia lactiflor or penoy, hibiscus sabdariffa or Hibiscus, Bupleurum chinense or hare’s ear, Melissa officinalis or lemon balm, pepperming or Mentha piperita to control stomach cramps and heartburn. In homeopathy you can get Nux vomica, Gelsemium sempervirens or Pulsatilla nigricans.